Sunday, August 07, 2005

Captivating

(This is one of the four "sample pictures" that come with the computer. I only have two in there right now and I already posted both of them. I decided I needed art on the page, so voila! Plus, this photo is what I desire right now in this hot summer of extreme drought and yellowed foilage).

So far, I'm liking it.

Several people have recommended to me the book "Captivating" by Stasi and John Eldredge. I was a bit iffy about starting it, since they contend the essence of the feminine soul is about three things: romance, adventure and unveiling beauty. I know that's true in most lives (including mine) but I shrink from gender stereotypes.

However, I've enjoyed the book quite a lot so far (two chapters in). Shanel urged me to be honest while reading it, and I'm finding what I like most about it is whenever the authors talk about a feminine trait, they talk about how it reveals the heart of God. I also like the idea that woman was created not as afterthought or someone to keep Adam busy, but as the zenith, the apex, the crown of all creation. After woman, God stopped.

Another non-fiction book I'm enjoying is "The Pursuit of God in the Company of Friends" by Richard Lamb. It's already proving applicable and helpful to my own life as well as inspiration for my women's group, Transform. I love what Lamb suggests as an antithesis for this title: "The Pursuit of Nothing in Particular While All Alone." He's right. The first is much more appealing.

Am so tired I can't think straight and am making typing mistakes. But it's only 9:43. 17 minutes till bedtime!

Incidentally, my last two nights with Abby passed uneventfully, unless you count the discomfort of having two dogs, a poodle and a lab, jostling for position on your bed, both trying to be as close to you as possible. Last night Pamba won out, claiming the left side of my face and shoulder (He had to have his back pushed against me as he slept). And Abby decided to sleep the crook of my legs, so whenever I switched sides, she flopped over and curled herself into the back of my legs and put her nose on my foot. Awwwwwwww!!!! I don't think I could endure this every night, but it was cute once or twice. It's so weird, by the way, to be so completely adored by a creature. That dog loves me so much and I can't figure out why (Well, I did suggest to Alison that they take her home from the pound, help with her training and take her out a lot while I lived there. But that was a long time ago!). This morning, though, as I was waking up and Abby was snuggling up to me so eagerly, her eyes watching mine for a sign of approval, her nose resting in my hands, I thought, "Is this the way God loves me? This is strange. But flattering."

No comments: