Thursday, September 15, 2005

A Circle of Quiet (Madeleine and Me)

How is it possible that I have not discovered this marvelous book before now?

"A Circle of Quiet" is by Madeleine L'Engle and I highly recommend it. It's a series of essays, ruminations and stories about life as a human, writer, Christian, woman, and more. It's funny, insightful, profound, and inspiring.

If you're not familiar with L'Engle, I recommend her young adult fiction--all of it--and her marvelous book on faith and art, "Walking on Water." I've yet to dive into her adult fiction, but as Madeleine herself says, "I suppose I'm not bright enough to know the difference between children and adult fiction." (My paraphrase). I love that so many of her novels, no matter the genre, have intertwining characters, even though some take place in chronos (real time) and kairos (time beyond our dimension, God's time).

Here's a quote from "A Circle of Quiet":

It is through ... the world of the imagination which takes us beyond the restrictions of provable fact, that we touch the hem of truth. The world we live in, the world we are able to know with our intellect, is limited an dbounded by our finiteness. We glimpse reality only occasionally, and for me it happens most often when I write, when I start out using all the "real" things which my sense and my mind cna know, and then suddenly a world opens for me.

3 comments:

Christy Merry said...

LOVE that book - it is on my 'books I recommend' list. :) I've read most of her adult fiction & biography too. Did you ever read the rest of the series that A Wrinkle In Time is part of?

Christy Merry said...

By the way, there's something you can turn on called 'word verification' that will protect you from spammers. I don't have a public blog so I don't have to worry about it (yet anyway). Just thought I'd let ya know!

Stephanie Fosnight Regester said...

Thanks for the word verification hint, Christy. As you can see, I have followed your excellent advice.

Nobody click on anonymous! He's up to no good!