Monday, October 22, 2007

Expressions

Timmy the cat teaches Stephanie how to glower menacingly.
Jen Rankine expresses outrage at a controversial call during the England/South Africa Rugby World Cup game.
Jen prays for God's grace to smile down upon the England team.
Jen is in the depths of despair over the England's sad fate (the prayer was too little, too late, apparently).

As I've been uploading photos, updating my blog and thinking about getting to work this morning, I received a pleasant and mysterious surprise. The doorbell just rang and I ran down, expecting the plumber (as our boiler is broken AGAIN!). But it wasn't, it was a man with a massive box. I mean, massive, like about half my size. I figured it was for someone else in the house but when I opened the door he said, "Are you Stephanie?" and I nodded in pleased shock as I signed and brought the box inside. It was huge but fairly light and was sent from within the UK, so that ruled out overseas care packagages. I ripped it open and, under layers of brown paper, found a white, large box with the words "Hamleys: The Finest Toys in the World" emblazoned on it in red. So I opened that box and was confronted with the sight of loads of gold and red ribbon and stars. At this point I thought, "Hmm...maybe this is an early birthday present. But who in England would mail me such a giant present?" As there was no card I decided I couldn't take the suspense (especially as my Nov. 5 birthday is still two weeks away) and just went ahead and dug through the ribbon and confetti. Finally, at the bottom, I found the board game "Ticket to Ride." No card, but I'm pretty sure it's from my family, perhaps my parents and grandparents, since this is one of their favorite games. It's very fun and has very elegant pieces so I'm very excited to play it. I wonder how they shipped it from a UK company? In 49 minutes it will be 6 a.m. in Mesa and I will be able to call Mom & Dad and find out!!!

I love getting mail. (hint, hint) Let me know if you want my address :)
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

SamErika said...

Stephanie, Fantastic photo of you pouring a pint and reminiscing about the rugby! Wonderful. I too was outraged at some of the calls made during the game. Andy and I went to the globe and there were so many English people there we could have been tucked away in a corner of home.

As for the gift, if you ever get the chance, you should go to Hamleys in London, it is *the* toy store! :-) (but no, it wasn't from me)

Stephanie Fosnight Regester said...

Thanks, Sam. I knew you'd like the post about the rugby. Or, as they say up here in the north, "the roogby." Actually, I have been forcefully told that we are NOT in the north (by David my English "bro"). North is one town up. We are in the Midlands.

What is wrong about being from the North?

Oh, and the gift was from my mom and dad after all. Kind of a bummer that I opened my birthday present two weeks early, but it's a cool gift! Wish you and Erika could come play with me. :) And Owen, of course. He's big enough for games, right?