Tuesday, June 27, 2006


Jenna and Me Posted by Picasa

Here I am with my lovely cousin Jenna, age 19 (sorry guys, she's taken).

It's always something of a risk taking photos with Jenna, since she is stunningly beautiful. Now, now, I'm not fishing for compliments here. No need to flood this post with reassuring remarks about my own pulchritude. But Jenna really is gorgeous. This is not even a very flattering photo of her. But I like it because you can see some resemblance between the two of us.

Jenna and I have so much fun together. I am 8 years older than she and one of my favorite photos of all time is me holding this tiny little pink bundle in the hospital. I remember that day. I also remember helping my aunt with Jenna's first birthday party. But right after that, we moved to AZ, leaving Jenna and her soon-to-be-born brother Jack behind in MN.

I got reacquainted with Jenna & Jack (who's 17) when I started college. They were 10 and 8 then and Jenna had a great love of garter snakes. (As she demonstrated at the family cottage in Door County's Washington Island). It was so fun getting to know them as I was at school in St. Paul.

Jenna called me the other day from her job as a nanny for her little step-nephew in Boston. We had a blast talking together. It's hard for me to remember the age difference between us. Not only is Jenna beautiful, but she is a marvelous, compassionate, reflective woman with a strong heart to serve God. As we giggled together and then shared serious stuff, I was struck by a thought.

"Jenna," I said, "I'm so glad we're related. I feel so lucky!"

And, my dear cousin, if you are reading this, know that I still am glad we are related and look forward to knowing you better and better as our adult lives progress. :)

P.S. This photo was taken in the hotel room where all of my extended family--both sides--was gathered the night before my brother's wedding. Great hilarity ensued in that tiny room. Maybe I'll post some of those photos another time.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Hey girl! How is everything going?