Monday, December 03, 2007

Mallory Blake Langill (2000-2007)


Mallory died on Sunday morning.

Who was Mallory? She was an amazing, 7-year-old girl who loved Jesus, her parents, her little brother, her friends, her cats and making stuff. Her favorite colors were orange, pink and purple, because they were the colors of the sunset. I had the immense privilege of being her Sunday School teacher for one year. This photo was taken on my last Sunday in Chicago, just a few months before Mallory began to deteriorate. She'd always been sick from cystic fibrosis, and was on the double lung transplant list, and about a month ago was moved to a children's hospital to await new lungs. She didn't make it.

Here is an email I sent out today to all who'd been praying for Mallory. I am determined that I will always remember this little girl, and as long as I am writing and telling stories, I will talk about Mallory.

If you haven't already heard, Mallory's body could no longer take the wait for new lungs. She finally had to stop fighting. As her parents reported in their blog announcement, God decided to not only give hernew lungs but a whole new body to enjoy in His presence, in heaven. She died at about 4 a.m. CST on Sunday morning. See the entry here:

http://www.cotaformalloryl.com/node/35

I found out this morning, as I did not get a chance to check email or messages yesterday. Of course I am very grieved, not for Mallory because, cheesy as it sounds, it's more than true to say she is in a far better place. But I am grieving for her parents Chris and Lee, for her little brother Aaron (who's 4) and for all of us in her extended network of family and friends. Including myself.

Mallory had such talents and gifts of intelligence and friendship, as well as an incredibly perceptive heart. I was so looking forward to seeing her live life with new lungs and seeing her grow up into a lovely girl and young woman. I will miss her and I will never forget her.

Her own dad said that Mallory probably impacted more people in her 7 years than her parents have in their 40-something years.


Thank you for all of the prayers, whether you know Mallory or not. Her parents say the prayers and support have really gotten them through this time, and they are also grateful that so many strangers (including those in England!) have been praying for them. I know they will appreciate continued prayers as they now grieve and continue to face financial challenges because of the medical bills. Please pray for them as they strive to celebrate Christmas with Aaron in the face of such painful loss.

Some of you had mentioned that you felt uncomfortable praying for lungs for Mallory, since someone else had to die in order for that tohappen. Our prayers had simply been that some other family, in theirgrief and loss, would make the choice to donate their loved ones' organs. In the end, it was Mallory's family who made the decision tod onate their own daughter's organs, and I know that Mallory's death will mean life for others we will never meet. Please consider organ donation yourself, if you haven't, and check to make sure you'vecomplied with your own state's organ donor laws. For example, the Illinois laws changed a few years ago, but it's easy to register online if you haven't done so.

I wish it hadn't turned out this way. I know it didn't have to. But despite the sometimes overwhelming presence of death and evil in thisfallen world, I still know God is good and He is faithful. And rightnow Mallory knows that more than any of the rest of us.
Thank you,
Stephanie

If you'd like to learn more about lung transplants and cystic fibrosis, as well as hear the story of a very cool guy named Steve and the young woman named Kari who gave him new life, go here for an article I wrote last year:

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/evanston/lifestyles/health_family/135554,on-kari-111606-s1.article

As Steve told me in his condolence email, he constantly tells Kari's story for all of the Mallorys in the world. And now I want to tell Mallory's story for all of the others like her.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, Stephanie--

I was at Mallory's Memorial Service this morning, and I'm glad I happened to find your blog because I wanted to tell you how much your letter that was read during the service meant to me, and I know it must mean so much to Chris and Lee and their family. I especially liked that you mentioned how Christians tend to offer a lot of well-intended words in times like these, and as a mom, I just don't think there are any words that would do justice. I have to admit I don't feel comfortable with a lot of Christianese, so it was such a comfort to me to hear your letter.

I didn't know Mallory well, as I left the Vineyard before she was born, although I've kept in touch with her dad as we share a similar taste in music. Anyways, I just wanted to thank you for your words. I'm sure everyone who was at the memorial service feels the same way.

Sarah in Chicago
p.s. The part where you said Jesus told you Mallory had a part in that beautiful sunset? That totally got me *right here*.

Stephanie Fosnight Regester said...

Hey Sarah,

Thank you so much for your note. I'm truly amazed at how God has used that letter to help people grieve and (hopefully) heal. I know it's helping me. It's funny you mentioned the part about what we Christians say about grief...I almost edited that out for the reading but am glad now I left it in.

Thanks again for posting! Sometimes it feels like nobody ever reads my blog, so it's nice to get feedback. ;)

-stephanie