Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Differences Between the U.S. and U.K.

1. The man just came to read the gas meter. I had to let him in, direct him to the kitchen cupboard where it's kept, and let him out to a "cheers, love." A man also came to read the electricity meter. Aren't all these meters now outside in the U.S., if not just transmitted digitally anyway?

2. There is a milkman. Not everyone uses the milkman anymore, but we do. I love it! And the milk does seem to taste better (most dairy products, in fact, taste better here than at home...with the exception of ice cream).

3. Ketchup and Salt and Vinegar chips (crisps) are sweeter. I know everyone says the U.S. makes everything sweet, but I've found most desserts (puddings) here to be sweeter than at home. Sometimes I miss the tang.

4. No tumble dryers. We hang our wet clothes outside or inside on radiators.

5. Buttons and symbols on stoves, remote controls, ovens, vacuums (Hoovers) and pretty much anything electronic, which means i sometimes feel like an idiot when I can't figure out how to work stuff.

6. Loads and loads and loads of words. Where do I begin? onesie (baby grow), dinner (tea), zucchini (courgette), rutabaga (swede), brew (steep), trunk (boot), hood (bonnet), vest (undershirt), waistcoat (vest), suspenders (braces), pants (trousers), underwear (pants) and I could go on and on and on...

7. Intersections and traffic. Backwards and with roundabouts. Nuff said.

8. Fahrenheit into Celsius, pounds into kilos or stones, inches into centimeters (except when talking about height). But a pint is a pint is a pint, thank goodness!

There's a tiny little window into my new life.

No comments: