Sunday, September 02, 2007

I'm in London!!!

I arrived at 8 a.m. this morning, got into the country by the skin of my teeth (I was interviewed by a very zealous immigration official, which is just fine, but it was a little scary) and, after an hour of wandering around Heathrow airport pushing an overloaded trolley looking for the pick-up point, finally found my friend Nikhita, who came with great mercy to pick me up.

After a fun trip to the grocery store (I had to ask Nikhita where the crisps were, because she didn't know what I meant when I said chips) we sat in her lovely new flat and chatted and ate lunch. Then Nikhita brought me to Jon March's flat, where I met up with my dear friend Sus. Jon was working at the church all day (he's a vicar at Holy Trinity Brompton and there are four Sunday services) so Sus and I had a blast in London. We took the tube to the Picadilly Circus area and spent hours wandering around looking for a toilet, inexpensive scarves and a sandwich shop, in that order. There was a giant Indian street fair going on, which was fun, but all of the sandwich shops were closed. We literally walked around and around and around looking for a place to get a sandwich. We finally bought baguette ham sandwiches inside a department store then took it to a sidewalk pub and drank beers while we ate our baguettes.

How do I describe the feel of London? Lots of stone and curvy streets and shops everywhere you look. It feels ... old. I'm exceedingly sleepy right now so can't be poetic, but let me just say that it is a wonderful city. I also toured around South London with Nikhita, which is a lot more like Chicago with varying neighborhoods, including rundown ones, but there's no place like Central London.

After our sandwich seeking adventure, Sus and I headed to Holy Trinity Brompton, a very cool church near the Victoria and Albert and the British History Museum, where Jon is a curate. It's the church that started the Alpha program, now used internationally to introduce people to Christianity. We hung out in their cafe drinking tea (I drank a lot of caffeine today to stay awake) and then went to the service. I also met lots of Jon's friends. Finally we went to a restaurant with Jon and his friends then back to his place, so now I'm just waiting for Nikhita to pick me up (she's a wonderful friend! Couldn't join us today but stil offered to be my chauffeur) so I can go back to her place and finally go to bed. I haven't been too jet lagged, actually, because I slept about 5 hours last night on the plane, thanks to an eye mask, neck pillow, ear plugs and Benadryl.

It's been a very, very long day but also an amazing day. I was so charmed by all of the British accents on the airline yesterday (I flew Virgin Atlantic) and for my first few hours in London, but I'm used to it now already. I haven't been able to understand everyone, however. It's been so wonderful to see Sus and it will be sad to say goodbye to her until I come to her wedding at Christmas, but I'm so glad we got this time together. And I'm looking forward to lots of fun with Nikhita the next few days before taking the train to Nottingham on Wednesday.

So it's all very surreal. I saw tons of London today, walked over miles of it and drove many more. I keep having to pinch myself and say, "Wow, I'm really in England." I had one of those moments after Sus and I came out of church and were waiting for Jon. I stood outside gazing up at the silhouette of the church (it's old...am too tired to look up details) but there was a gorgeous tower standing out against the English night. People were chatting in those unfamiliar accents all around me, drinking their coffee and tea in the green park, and it was a pleasant summer evening. "I'm really here," I said to myself. "I can't believe it. After all these months, I'm really here."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steph! Just got in from a nice walk to the lake front with Julie and Lucia. The weather was beautiful here today - sunny and hot, but not too humid, with light breezes.

Was thinking of you, so I checked my mail to see if you'd sent anything yet, and - sure enough - I found your email and followed your link to this blog post.

I can picture some of the scenes you describe - from memory and from this silly movie we saw last night at the Schuman picture palace - Johnny English, with Rowan Atkinson.

Miss you already. I went to church today by myself because Julie was too tired, and I could feel your absence - no little Steffers energy from the next row of chairs to give me a substantive boost of mood, in addition to my iced soy latte from Peet's.

From our housegroup, only Amanda was there - sitting by herself - and I didn't get a chance to talk with her.

Change is in the air: with Labor Day, summer unofficially ends and fall begins, bittersweet in its beauty and portent of long, drab winter ahead.

Lots of announcements at church today - new ministries/events starting up again for the fall - Alpha, the Well, a woman's group, new housegroups. Next week is "leader's day"; I'm sure we'll notice your absence there as well.

Julie's putting together the September issue of Salt today/tomorrow. We only have a couple of articles, but it's still going. Check in from time to time. I'll let you know what we decide to do from here; it may be time to hang it up...

On our walk this evening, Julie and I stopped in a park to nurse and EC Lucia. We started talking about the housegroup and what we might do this coming year as a theme.

We're thinking of "relationships." It's broad enough that it works with almost anything - friends, strangers, family, co-workers, boyfriends/girlfriends, husbands/wives, God the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Didn't decide anything for sure, but this may give us a starting point/framework for planning the year ahead.

Boy, sure will miss you...

Anyway, just thought I'd give you something to read and remind you of your family back here when you wake up in the morning.

We're thinking of you, and are really excited about what God has planned for you this year.

Talk again soon.

Love,

Mark

PapaScott said...

Hey, if you've come all the way to London, it's only a hop, skip and a jump to visit us in Hamburg :-)

Scott and Frauke

Shanel said...

Oh, how I miss you already! And all your earthly belongings have been deposited in my home and I feel like I have an anchor on you. :)

I loved your post and smiled throughout it just delighting in the fulfillment of a long time of waiting and wondering.

I bless you dear one!

Keep writing.

(And Mark, I love how you commented on the little things of life that we often miss the most and forget to fill in the blanks when we are writing. Well done!)