Tuesday, May 30, 2006

From Kathy and Alex

Both of my buddies have posted similar lists on their blogs. They have inspired me.

Things that were true of me five years ago that are no longer true:
1. I was 22 and had been a college graduate for one week.
2. I was living in Minnesota through the end of summer but expected to spend 2003-2004 as a missionary to orphans in Guatemala.
3. I had deferred grad school for Guatemala and expected to begin at NU on June 11, 2004. (As it happened, God would gently but persisently tell me not to go to Guatemala but to start at Medill-Northwestern in June 2002. I graduated with my M.S.J. in June 2003).
4. I was a server at Baker's Square.
5. I didn't really understand the workings of the Holy Spirit.
6. I had never seen a person be physically healed.
7. I thought it somehow "unfaithful" to desire to a physical experience of God's presence.
8. I did not have a group of peers within my church community.
9. I lived two miles from my grandparents and within minutes of a drove of aunts, uncles and cousins.
10. I drove Emily, a 1984 brown Chevy cavalier station wagon.
11. I did not know how to drive a stick.
12. I had no paid journalism experience.
13. I had never been to Oregon or North Carolina.
14. I didn't know I had an older half-brother named Shane.
15. I didn't have a cell phone and certainly didn't talk to my mom everyday.
16. I lived in an on-campus apartment and wasn't allowed to burn candles at home. (But I did it anyway).
17. I owned no furniture.

This is kind of a boring list compared to the others. I suppose all that God has done in me and through me can't be easily quantified in a list. That's all right, though. I'm a writer, not a list maker, and I will save those stories for another day.

4 comments:

Alex said...

Hey Steph! Nice list...except you're missing a few. ;)

You're good at the whole dancing thing. See you Sunday!

Stephanie Fosnight Regester said...

What am I missing from the list, Alex? It would be kind of funny if you knew and I didn't (seeing as how you've met me twice ;)

You're a pretty good dancer yourself, cowboy. Good at spinning, too!

David Green said...

Five years ago you also hadn't seen rock-hard abs...or somebody who could bench press 400lbs.

Stephanie Fosnight Regester said...

Yeah, and I still haven't seen that. (Oh, wait, sorry!)