Monday, October 17, 2005

Autumnal Wonderings

I love fall! It was the season I missed most after we moved to Arizona when I was 9 (and then that college/grad school gap year when I was a teacher in Phoenix).

I was so glad I finally got out into it this weekend, although it was while I was driving for work, playing with little kids and then picking apples off the ground with Sus (there were none left on the trees). But even though it's been glorious the last couple of days, with trees exploding into color and blue blue skies, everything's seemed a little off. Perhaps because it's been so much warmer than usual.

Everything feels a little flat and worn out in Chicago this year. Is it the heat and the drought? Plants don't seem parched now, but I know this summer's dryness will have lingering effects. Or is it just that this place has begun to pall? This is the beginning of my ... 4th autumn in Chicago. Is that possible? Yup, I moved here summer 2002, though I spent all the next spring in D.C.

I think I am getting wanderlust again. But the longer I stay, the harder it is to leave. Where would I go? I don't know. Emails from friends who are missionaries in foreign countries are enticing. And so is the prayer update from old, old friends who've planted a church in Seattle. And I'd love to be near my family again. But what about all of my "family" here, my community of dear dear friends? And most importantly, where does God want me?

Ahhh....here I go again.

(I wrote this more than a year ago).
http://www.saltsite.com/index.cfm?salt=features.story&aid=216

No comments: