Friday, June 03, 2005

Glimmers of Grace

glimmer (v) : to shine faintly
glimmer (n) : a faint unsteady light
grace (n) : unmerited help given to people by God; a temporary respite (as from the payment of debt); approval, acceptance; charm; attractiveness; beauty; ease of movement; a musical trill or ornament

I almost called this blog "squarsonage," which is one of my all-time favorite words (squire + parson = squarson & since a parson lives in a parsonage, a squarson lived in a squarsonage -- see Oxford English Dictionary) but decided I would actually try for something meaningful.

My good friend Shanel preached a wonderful sermon (yay for women preachers!) at a recent women's retreat. She called it "Glimmers" and it was about how we see occasional glimmers of love: love from God, love from others, love surrounding us, and how if we could only truly believe in the glimmers, our entire lives and attitudes would change so dramatically and for the better.

My title also is inspired by Madeleine L'Engele, my favorite living author. There is a collection of her fiction and non-fiction writings that provides a reading for each day, and the book is called "Glimpses of Grace." So there you have it!

Although naming my blog "squarsonage" is sufficiently cryptic and silly enough for me to feel free to write about anything, even if it's just fun words or random stream of consciousness thoughts, but I won't let the title limit me. I think "Glimmers of Grace" better summarizes my entire life philosophy, and I will feel free to write whatever.

My goodness, a blog is certainly self-absorbed! Ah, well.

3 comments:

InspiredDreamer said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! It's so much fun, although I blush to say I haven't been keeping it up, even though I keep promising myself. Perhaps knowing someone else is getting into it will help me.

Have fun!

Shanel said...

Gooooo, Stephanie!! Sabrina will probably laugh at my cheering nature, but I am so happy to read your new blog.

You make me giggle...squarsonage.

I am honored to have inspired your title. I also, AMEN, women preachers.

Stephanie Fosnight Regester said...

Bandit queen, InspiredDreamer and Legal Eagle ... who are you? Your links or lack thereof don't provide much info. I have some guesses. Is Legal Eagle my cousin? And InspiredDreamer, your name starts with a J, and you have a thing for Matthew West. And Bandit Queen ... umm....no clue, except you're in Housegroup with me. I'd like to see the Traveling Pants, by the way.