Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Moment of Joy

Sorry it’s been so long! We’re packing up and getting ready to move, no small feat with two very young children.

So I wanted to post a devo for you all but as I started to write it, my little guy woke up from his nap. And he wanted to snuggle. He started telling me all about making a happy face with this matching puzzle he has, which made me start humming an old song called Put On a Happy Face, so then he wanted to hear the song and Alexa played it for us, which then reminded me of the 1963 musical it’s from, called Bye Bye Birdie. I loved that old movie when I was in high school in the 90s, and so I pulled up the soundtrack and sang along, that’s when I remembered that we performed a Bye, Bye Birdie medley in our show choir’s Broadway Concert my senior year. (I was a total drama and choir girl all through junior high and high school, I did all the shows for 6 years!) Anyway, that’s how I came to record the above video for my devotional for middle school. It was me and my sweet 3-year-old sharing a peaceful, loving moment (except when he knocked the phone out of my hand) and it brought me great joy.

Is there a special, fun thing that you can stop and do today? Just something small that brings you joy? God knows you inside and out, and he knows the small things you like, your hobbies, your good memories, all of it. Even if, in my case, it meant bringing to mind a favorite choir performance from 23 (!!!) years ago.

Check out this sweet, short little Psalm. What little gift is God giving to you to help you calm your soul today?


Psalm 131 GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)

Lord, my heart is not conceited.
    My eyes do not look down on others.
    I am not involved in things too big or too difficult for me.
Instead, I have kept my soul calm and quiet.
    My soul is content as a weaned child is content in its mother’s arms.
Israel, put your hope in the Lord now and forever.





By the way, that quiet moment turned into my son throwing his little cars across the living room :) (next week we’ll have our own yard!) Guess where I went to find another quiet moment to write this? Wishing you all peaceful moments!



No comments: