Friday, September 15, 2006

Tomorrow May Not Be

Tonight I watched my first real Bollywood flick (unless you count "Bride and Prejudice. I don't).

I saw "Kal Ho Naa Ho" or "Tomorrow May Not Be." It's about an uptight gal named Naina who has family problems. Then a new guy called Amman moves in next door and teaches Naina to love life. Meanwhile, she's got a best friend (a guy) called Rohit who certainly complicates matters. The relationships become the ultimate love triangle.

This is an unbelievably melodramatic film where the characters often break into song and dance with passersby on the street. Several of the plot devices are unrealistic, but since when has Bollywood been about realism?

Yet I liked it. There was much beauty, comedy and pathos to this over-the-top production, despite all of the obvious cliches. I wish I had someone else here to talk it over with. Anybody else seen this film?

Link to IMDB site:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0347304/

No comments: