Tuesday, December 13, 2005

I am not allergic to food!!!

That is a relief. Because I really didn't want to give up nuts, or garlic, or dairy, or lettuce, or malt, or any of the other dozens of food allergens Dr. Ricaurte tested me for today.

I visited the allergist after my scary anaphylactic reaction on Saturday night (picture me, in the middle of a fancy dinner dance, flat on my back next to the coat rack, covered in hives and with frighteningly-swollen Angelina Jolie lips, shaking uncontrollably, as paramedics bent over me and eventually took me to ER where I was given a host of drugs and recovered).

So we don't know what caused the reaction. It may have been the cold virus I had, or the exercise, or the chemicals on my new dress, or a combination of two or three. Plus I was super-stressed. Unfortunately, as Dr. Ricaurte said, my body has now learned to react in "an inappropriate manner."

So now I am on more drugs until my body learns its lesson. And I have to carry around the gigantic Epi-Pen (a shot of life-saving epinephrine should this occur again).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steph! I came over here to tell you how great and addicting The Fixer column is, and what do I find? You, on the floor, in a formal dress, having trouble breathing. Yikes. Glad you're okay. Don't get TOO allergic to the world at large.

Anonymous said...

Hey sis!! I remember you saying you had an allergic reaction when we were on the phone, but after reading this and getting more, I am glad you are doing well now. And after reading this I realized that back when I was 11 I wore a pair of leather pants from germany. Well the dye from them caused me to have an allergic reaction, and I had the worst breakout ever. The pants were dyed, and I had worn leather pants before, so they told me it wwas the dye. So many clothes are made with dermatalogist safe materials that I think that a combo of,if you were sweating,( and getting crazy) that I may have aborbed into your skin and caused this to happen to you. Cause you see in a regular non-active situation, this should not be an issue. So I would look at the manufacturer of the dress and it's materials,and /or any allergic reaction warning labels. Hope this helps.... LUV YA Shane--P.S. The web page I listed is my team for video games on XBOX LIVE. The only thing is that online teams are called clans, and when you read what the name is for both of them don't freak, the names of both clans have no reference to who we are, they are just names. I hope you recover soon!!! Big BRO S.

Kathy B. said...

You are too fabulous for your shoes!http://adeeperlife.blogspot.com/

Stephanie Fosnight Regester said...

Yo gitzo,

Don't worry about your team names. I can handle it ;)

Thanks for the input. Dad also has had some serious skin reactions (hives, etc.) thanks to clothes and fabrics. Yet another thing that runs in the family, I guess.

I have been fine since that night. Of course, I am on antihistamines right now and recently finished a prednisone course. Now if I could only shake this stupid cold. I am tired all of the time!

Kathy B. said...

yowzers! you've had 76 visitors at your page! I've only had three! your right, it is addicting! I want to go see right now if anyone else has visited my page!